Monday, February 9, 2015

Cormorants: the world's most hated bird?

Around 50,000 double-crested cormorants are killed each year (Image: Shaunl/Getty)

They've been called fish thieves, riverbank wreckers and alien invaders. But the slaughter of cormorants isn't justified, says a conservation biologist

IN JULY 1998 I visited Naubinway, Michigan, for the first time. The town is one of the state's few remaining commercial ports and fishing is the mainstay of its economy. But I wasn't there for the fish. I was headed for a small island about a kilometre offshore, uninhabited by people but teeming with bird life in the summertime.

Herring gulls and double-crested cormorants begin nesting in this part of the Great Lakes in May, and by mid-June there are thousands of chicks. I went there with my University of Minnesota colleagues Francie Cuthbert and Dave Smith as part of a study of cormorant population dynamics. I didn't know it then, but it was the beginning ...

To continue reading this article, subscribe to receive access to all of newscientist.com, including 20 years of archive content.

post from sitemap

No comments:

Post a Comment