Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Angelique Kerber beats Ana Konjuh in Dubai Tennis Championships

Angelique Kerber has been in good form this week in Dubai so far
Angelique Kerber has been in good form this week in Dubai so far

Angelique Kerber remains on course to reclaim the World No 1 spot after beating Ana Konjuh 6-3 6-2 to reach the semi-finals at the Dubai Tennis Championships.

The German needs to win the event in order to supplant Serena Williams at the top of the rankings and she will next face Elina Svitolina in the semis.

Kerber won two Grand Slam titles and reached the Wimbledon final last year but has made a modest start to the 2017 season.

However, she has looked good in Dubai so far and was pleased with her display against Konjuh.

"I'm really happy about the match today again," said Kerber.

"Ana is a tough opponent, she's going for it. You have to play until the last point.

"It was nice to get through in two sets. I was just focusing on myself and trying to take the rhythm from the last days.

"The match with Svitolina will be another tough one. I have to be aggressive. I'll just try to enjoy the next match and of course I will try to go out there and to win another match here."

Elina Svitolina will take on Kerber in the semis
Elina Svitolina will take on Kerber in the semis

Svitolina is on the up herself and will break into the top 10 for the first time if she __can claim the title.

The seventh-seeded Ukrainian reached the final four with a 6-0 6-4 defeat of Lauren Davis.

"I'm really happy with the way I started and the way I finished the match," said Svitolina. "I was being very aggressive and it worked really good.

"I was calm and positive today. I'm really happy with the performance."

Tenth seed Caroline Wozniacki is playing well this season too and she got the better of 17-year-old Californian Catherine Bellis 6-3 6-2.

She will now face Latvia's Anastasija Sevastova, who defeated Wang Qiang 6-4 7-5.

Follow the Rio Open on Sky Sports and don't forget to follow us skysports.com/tennis, our app for mobile devices and iPad or our Twitter account @skysportstennis for news, reports and expert analysis.

New customers: Grab a NOW TV Sky Sports Month Pass for £20pm for the first two months and catch a blockbuster period of live Sky Sports action. No contract.

No comments:

Post a Comment