Friday, November 11, 2016

Andy Murray wants strong finish at ATP World Tour Finals as Novak Djokovic aims to reclaim No 1

Andy Murray wants to do himself "justice" as world No 1 at the ATP World Tour Finals but Novak Djokovic says he is coming to win his ranking back.

Djokovic __can move back ahead of Murray with victory at The O2 tournament, live on Sky Sports, with the Briton just 405 points ahead of Djokovic's total of 10,780. 

Murray has a disappointing record at the ATP World Tour Finals, and was beaten in straight sets by Stan Wawrinka last time around, but the new No 1 does not want to let history get in the way of keeping hold of his ranking. 

"Obviously, I want to try and finish this season as best as possible," Murray said. "I haven't played too well at the O2 the last few years, so I want to come and do myself justice and play some good tennis.

On becoming world No 1, Murray said: "It was not something I actually thought loads about until the last few years, until I got older.

"When I first came on the tour, I never thought I would get to No 1. It wasn't something I expected and I always wanted to try and win slams.

"I'd been close to winning slams a number of times, but I'd never been that close to being No 1 until the last few months or so, so it wasn't something I'd been thinking about loads. But I'm obviously very happy to get there."

Murray spent 76 weeks at No 2 behind Djokovic, who crashed out of the Paris Masters at the quarter-final stage to hand Murray the opportunity to take his position. 

The Serb spent 122 consecutive weeks as the world's best player and he revealed he will try to regain that position at the World Tour Finals. 

"It's one of the reasons why I'm here, to try to do as best as I __can and eventually fight for the No 1 spot in the world," said Djokovic, who can reclaim his ranking if he finishes the tournament undefeated.

"Andy has an incredible last three or four months, actually, last six months, starting from the clay court finals, very consistent. The most consistent player this year without a doubt.

"He definitely deserves to be the No 1 player in the world. But we're coming to the final week of the year, we're all trying to get what's left in our bodies to the court and get as far as we can."

No comments:

Post a Comment