Saturday, March 11, 2017

Lesia Tsurenko wins in Acapulco while Ashleigh Barty seals Malaysia title

Lesia Tsurenko holds up the trophy after winning in Mexico
Lesia Tsurenko holds up the trophy after winning in Mexico

Lesia Tsurenko claimed the third WTA title of her career with a 6-1 7-5 victory over Kristina Mladenovic at the Abierto Mexicano Telcel in Acapulco.

The Ukrainian's strong play from the baseline did not allow the Frenchwoman to settle and Tsurenko raced into a 4-0 lead in the opening set in just 15 minutes.

It was a different story in the second set as it began with eight consecutive breaks of serve before Mladenovic held for a 5-4 lead.

Tsurenko responded with a hold of her own before breaking Mladenovic again and then serving out for victory in one hour and 20 minutes.

"It was a very difficult match. I felt very comfortable in the first set but in the second I felt quite nervous," Tsurenko explained after the match.

"She played better, and I think I was realising that I could get the title and that was making me nervous. She really pushed me to play my best tennis because she was attacking a lot. I was just focusing on myself and doing everything that I can. I'm really happy to win."

Barty poses with the ALYA Malaysian Open trophy
Barty poses with the ALYA Malaysian Open trophy

Australian qualifier Ashleigh Barty secured her first singles title by beating Nao Hibino in straight sets to win the ALYA Malaysian Open.

Barty, 20, completed a memorable week in Kuala Lumpur with a 6-3 6-2 win over Japan's Hibino in one hour and 13 minutes.

World No 158 Barty then teamed up with Casey Dellacqua to add the doubles title to her singles crown.

The Australian pair hit back from 5-1 down in a first-set tie-break to win 7-6 (7/5) 6-3 against Nicole Melichar and Makoto Ninomiya.

"I feel great - very tired but great," Barty told WTA.com. "It's been a monster week for me.

"I don't think I could have physically have played any more matches.

"I'm very happy to come away with two titles, but even if we didn't it would have been a fantastic tournament anyway. Now it's just an absolute bonus."

Grab a NOW TV Sky Sports Day Pass and stay glued in to all the latest transfer news from Sky Sports News HQ as the window draws in, all for just £6.99. No contract.

Don't forget to follow us skysports.com/tennis, our app for mobile devices and iPad or our Twitter account @skysportstennis for news, reports, expert analysis and live blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment