Friday, January 20, 2017

Andy Murray believes 'sore' ankle won't cause problems during Australian Open

Andy Murray has issued reassurances that the ankle he injured in his Australian Open second-round match will not hamper him during the remainder of the tournament.

The world No 1 rolled his right ankle during the third set of his win against Russian Andrey Rublev, but isn't expecting major problems in Friday's tie with Sam Querrey.

"It's just a bit sore today," he said after Thursday's practice.

"I did roll it pretty badly (on Wednesday) but thankfully I __can put weight on it and I was moving around fine in practice just now.

"It was just a little bit sore at the start and when I got up this morning but once I started moving around it felt all right."

Querrey is best known for eliminating Novak Djokovic at last summer's Wimbledon but Murray has explained how he plans to deal with the big-serving American.

"The most important thing will be to serve well yourself because that then puts pressure on his service games," Murray said.

"And then I'll just try to make as many returns as I can. Once I get in the rallies I should do okay.

"He __can serve huge and if it's hot - I don't know what temperature it's supposed to be - but the conditions play quicker in the heat and that can make it even tougher to return the serve."

Check our game-by-game updates from Andy Murray's matches as he aims to win his maiden Australian Open title by following our blog on skysports.com/tennis, our app for mobile devices and iPad or our Twitter account @skysportstennis.

By purchasing a Sky Sports Day Pass for £6.99 or Sky Sports Week Pass for £10.99, you can enjoy access to all seven Sky Sports channels and watch on a TV with a NOW TV Box or on a range of devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment