Sunday, January 29, 2017

Grigor Dimitrov ready to take on Rafael Nadal at the Australian Open

Grigor Dimitrov believes he go the distance in Melbourne
Grigor Dimitrov believes he go the distance in Melbourne

Grigor Dimitrov says he has what it takes to upset the odds and land his first major title at the Australian Open as he gets ready to take on 14-time Grand Slam champion Rafael Nadal for a place in the final on Friday.

The Bulgarian has had expectations heaped on his shoulders from early in his career after being anointed "Baby Fed" because of the similarity of his game to that of Roger Federer.

The 15th seed had few problems in a convincing win over David Goffin on Rod Laver Arena as he stormed through in fine style.

Rafa not contemplating Fed final

Rafael Nadal's focus not on Roger Federer just yet at Australian Open

Dimitrov has started 2017 on fire with a winning run of 10 matches that earned him the Brisbane International title and has taken him to the last four and a meeting with Nadal.

"I feel like I have all the tools to go further, and my job isn't over yet," said the 25-year-old.

"I'm looking forward to my match on Friday. I think I'm prepared. I think I'm ready to go the distance. I don't shy away from that.

"I'm confident enough to say that I feel good physically, and overall like on the court. Just going forward with the confidence that I have built up also from the previous tournament.

"Now with each match I've been feeling better and better. It just all comes pretty natural right now."

The Bulgarian demolished David Goffin to reach the semi-finals
The Bulgarian demolished David Goffin to reach the semi-finals

The last time Dimitrov won 10 straight matches was back in 2014, when he took the title at Queen's and reached the last four at Wimbledon when he lost to Novak Djokovic, but he feels he is a better player now and believes he's ready to land his first major title.

"I think I'm taking better decisions when I come out on the court, better decisions in terms of points or how I'm going to play certain players or how I'm going to prepare before my matches," he said.

"Little things that are important for me in order to come to the court. I think my focus has been good. The mentality has been there. I've been present when I'm playing my matches.

"Just fighting. I keep on fighting. I have a good spirit on the court, being positive.

"There are obviously a lot of small things that when you put them up together it makes a big difference."

Dimitrov holds the Roy Emerson trophy after winning in Brisbane earlier this year
Dimitrov holds the Roy Emerson trophy after winning in Brisbane earlier this year

High-profile relationships with former women's No 1 Maria Sharapova and pop star Nicole Scherzinger have helped make him one of the world's best known tennis players, but the major titles many forecast have not materialised and he chuckled when asked whether there was anything, or anybody, diverting him from his focus on tennis.

"Nothing is distracting me so far. I mean, I know what you're referring to, again," he said.

"But, no, no, everything is good. I'm enjoying a lot my downtime in Melbourne. I've been going out to the parks recently, so I'm staying away, out of trouble.

"As I said, I'm enjoying my time here. I'm enjoying coming out on the court. I'm going to enjoy other things maybe next week..."

VOTE: Aussie Open men's winner

Vote for your winner of the Australian Open

Check previews, reports and our live blogs from the men's semi-finals of the Australian Open by following us on skysports.com/tennis, our app for mobile devices and iPad or our Twitter account @skysportstennis.

Get a Sky Sports Day Pass

The best Sky Sports action for 24 hours, all from just £6.99!

By purchasing a Sky Sports Day Pass for £6.99 or Sky Sports Week Pass for £10.99, you __can enjoy access to all seven Sky Sports channels and watch on a TV with a NOW TV Box or on a range of devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment