Sunday, October 23, 2016

Monica Niculescu beats Petra Kvitova in Luxembourg Open final

Monica Niculescu is a WTA Tour champion for the third time
Monica Niculescu is a WTA Tour champion for the third time

Monica Niculescu stunned top seed Petra Kvitova in the final of the WTA Tour's Luxembourg Open.

Niculescu powered to victory 6-4 6-0 as the two-time Wimbledon champion wilted in the final, completely losing her rhythm in the second set.

The unseeded Romanian had not won a main tour title in more than two years, but she excelled on service and broke a brittle Kvitova on five occasions.

Kvitova rallied from 4-1 down to move within a game of Niculescu in the opening set but that would be as close as she came as the match became more and more one-sided.

"It was my best match this year," said Niculescu. "I felt fantastic on the court, and after I took the first set I felt even better. I felt like nothing surprised me.

"But, wow, to beat Petra in the final? That's the best moment in my life, I think."

No comments:

Post a Comment