Sunday, October 30, 2016

Novak Djokovic insists he is mentally prepared for Paris Masters

Djokovic is focused ahead of Paris Masters
Djokovic is focused ahead of Paris Masters

World No 1 Novak Djokovic says he is fully motivated again ahead of the Paris Masters next week after feeling mentally drained since his French Open success in June.

The Serb is aiming to defend his Masters title to fend off the advances of Andy Murray for his status as world No 1 but has only won one tournament, the Toronto Masters in July, since completing the Career Slam at Roland Garros.

"Winning the French Open this year has brought a lot of joy to me but on the other hand has taken away a lot from me, as well," Djokovic said. "I felt a little bit exhausted, I must say, and maybe less motivated."

Djokovic was knocked out of Wimbledon in the third round, the first time he had failed to make it through to a Grand Glam final since the 2014 US Open, before being eliminated in the first round at the Olympics.

Novak Djokovic crashed out of Wimbledon during the Men
Novak Djokovic crashed out of Wimbledon during the Men's Singles third round match against Sam Querrey

"I had to kind of rediscover that feeling of being on the court and keep pushing myself," he added.

"I guess it took a little bit of time, more time, and I'm in a better state of mind at the moment than I was some months ago."

Djokovic has been handed a tough route to the title in Paris, where he will start in the second round against Spain's Nicolas Almagro or in-form Gilles Muller of Luxembourg, as he battles for top spot with Murray.

Watch NOW TV

Watch Sky Sports for just £6.99. No contract

"I have been in these particular situations before in terms of ranking, so I know what to do, and I just keep things very simple," he said.

"It makes me want to go on court and fight for every point because there is something to win at the end." 

No comments:

Post a Comment